Several area people were recognized at the 2021 Iowa State Fair, held in August. They included:
• Susan Pisarick of Mount Vernon was the second place Best Tasting Tomato winner in the vegetable contests at the Iowa State Fair.
• Hannah Bott of Mount Vernon was the second place shawl/wrap/shrug (lace stitch, finer than worsted) in the hand knitting division of the fabric and threads contest.
• Karlyn Connolly of Mount Vernon was crowned senior cowgirl queen Aug. 13 at the 2021 Iowa State Fair. Lola Svec of Cumming was named junior cowgirl queen.
Both Cowgirl Queens received a $500 cash award sponsored by Dewey Ford Ankeny, a belt buckle sponsored by Cemen Tech, Inc. and a monogrammed chair sponsored by Ellsworth College. Their attendants also received cash prizes and chairs.
Judges in the Cowgirl Queen contest considered appearance, appropriateness of western wear and horsemanship.
• Maggie Dale placed first in all breed trail riders all ages competition at the open western horse show at the Iowa State Fair.
• Cameron Prasil of Lisbon placed fourth and sixth in the late summer yearling heifer July and August 2020 category of the Angus Show at the 2021 Iowa State Fair.